12oz / 300g Demerarar Sugar (brown).
4oz / 100g butter (not margarine).
3 tablespoon of black treacle.
4 tablespoons of water (room temperature).
(1) Put all of the ingredients into a saucepan.
(2) heat slowly, stirring until the butter has melted and the sugar has desolved.
(3) bring to the boil, place the lid on the pan (or cover with a plate) and boil gently for 2 minutes.
(4) uncover the pan and continue to boil for a further 10 minutes occasionally stirring.
(5) test by dropping a small amount of the mixture into a cold bowl of water (it should seperate into small brittle threads).
(6) leave to harden, turn out onto a board and break up into bitesize pieces.